08 January 2006

giving in / living up

for the past two weeks, every time i look at my blog, i think, "i need to blog again."

this thought is quickly followed by a prideful "i'm not doing one of those new year's resolution blogs where i arrogantly broadcast all my quasi-resolutions so that my dear, attentive friends can thoughtfully ask me how i'm doing keeping them at just the time when i've failed to keep them at all."

then comes, "wow, that's a really pessimistic take on resolutions, and i don't even feel pessimistic about this year."

which then serves to remind me how often and how strongly we hold onto feelings and resolutions, conscious and unconscious, that arose out of past hurts and disappointments and still manage to dictate many aspects of our present lives.

several years ago, i resolved, quite contradictorily, not to make over-ambitious new year's resolutions that somewhere deep down i knew i didn't intend to keep anyway. i would still think of certain areas in my life and habits that i wanted to improve, and would brainstorm practical, feasible ways of doing so, but would NOT share these with anyone and would certainly not label them "Resolutions". the pessimist, after all, suffers the least disappointment.

but what reason, or rather, what right do i have to be a pessimist when i have been so richly blessed by God's grace, not to mention all the tangible blessings He has bestowed on such a squanderer as myself? is there a difference between what i call pessimism and what the Word calls Unbelief? and is there anything more damaging to my relationship with God, husband, family, friends than distrust, unbelief and the pride that necessarily accompanies them?

when asked last evening by a dear friend about my refusal to make Resolutions, my answer seemed so, for lack of a better word, lame. it is pessimism. it is unbelief. it is fear of failure: a fear that betrays the still thriving belief that i should somehow be a success on my own, without Grace and without Help. and it is not only fear of failure, but fear of being seen to fail, fear of being naively hopeful, fear of being found out.

i don't want this year to be dictated by these fears. so here are my Resolutions, i.e., Prayers, for this and coming years:

-to be more attentive to the lives and needs of others, especially those close to me.
-to do less complaining and more building others up.
-to be more healthy
-to be more thankful for God's Grace and Blessings, the greatest of which are my family, my friends, new and old, and my husband.
-and finally, to believe.

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

"All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained."

Philippians 3:7-16

Happy New Year.

12 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is profound, Jenna, and very encouraging. Thanks for sharing the scripture along with it, too. I am very encouraged. Thank you.

scøüpe said...

i too am against new year's resolutions. but i feel this way because i believe that no one will truly do what is necessary to change until he hates that part of himself. quitting smoking or dieting cannot be a decision one makes on a whim or because our culture says it is time to change something; it must be a change motivated from within. only when a man truly and heartfeltedly decides he must change for his own good and happiness can he expect to achieve his goal. he must be 'done and done' with the way things are.

edumangia said...

Those are good resolutions. And don't you just love that part of Phillipians (it's one of the favourites for ordinations and first masses around here)?
Still, I guess the best part is not that we choose to make new year's resolutions, but the fact that God does give us new possibilities to fulfill them. Feliz año nuevo!

The Rock Lobster said...

What a good way of looking at things. I'm the same way when it comes to "resolutions," and I never thought about the whole pessimism side of it.

New Zealand rocks. It would be better if you and Becca and Jen were here, though.

jmg said...

i do love that chapter, well, actually all of Philippians! it never seems to get old or any less relevant.

mel, so glad you're liking NZ--i've been reading about it & it sounds like you'll have a blast. i wish we could come too!!! if you hear about any cheap tickets... ;)

secretsquirrel said...

my problem with "new year's resolutions" never was the resolution part, but rather the new year's attachment.

i think it wise and prudent to regularly resolve to make changes and improvements, i just don't feel the need to wait until january 1st to do it.

it's not unusual to here someone say, as far back as october, that they have gained some weight and have decided that their new year's resolution will be to start working out and lose the weight. my perspective is - why wait 3 extra months to get started?!?!?!?

now, before you think i am humbugging new year's resolutions, let me assure you that i'm not. i truly don't have a problem with other people making them, and i realize that the end of the year is a convenient and practical time for most people to reflect on where they are and where they want to be.

i'm just not one of those people. for one thing, any epifimy that might strike me in october will be long since forgotten in january - unless, that is - i have acted upon it.

and then there is the issue of waiting. i have never been good at waiting, and i don't want to wait until january to resolve something that i know needs to be resolved?

now, here are some of the things i have recently (over the last couple of years) resolved . . . i just didn't resolve them on new year's day.

(1) to do better at staying in touch with my family

(2) to not let crazy drivers annoy me too much

(3) to eat healthier

(4) to travel more

they sound like "new year's resolutions" don't they - but they are really "whenever the notion to make a positive change hits me resolutions".

karen-the-great said...

Aye, tis the truth, and she speaks it well.

Thank you - that was beautiful, and honest, and real.

starbuck said...

i didn't make any new year's resolutions, either. i did last year, though! (don't ask me what they were...)
as for the pessimism angle, i've got a slightly different take on that. probably because i'm exactly the same. i resolve to do something, & it usually lasts @ 30hrs. or so. the reasons, in reverse-order of importance, are as follows:
1] i don't have the will-power to stick to make a real change unless i'm done-and-DONE, in which case i no longer have any need of said (lacking) will-power.
2] my pessimism creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. i tell myself it's a ridiculous excercise in futility to even make a resolution, because i already know i'm going to fail. realistically, of course, the pessimism can be better defined as realism. i AM virtually guaranteed to fail @ everything i try because
3] i forget-every TIME i forget- that i'm not good enough to do it. it'd be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than it is for me to keep a resolution.
which is why i don't wait for a new year to make a resolution, either. by the time it's arrived, i've lost my resolve. i can't even keep a resolution to make a resolution. so i have to trick myself, by changing gradually, unnoticeably, invisibly. in fact, i'm a whole different person now, than i was when i started writing. i just don't realize it.

starbuck said...

by the way, fro, isn't the idea of a cellphone that you'll always be next to it @ 6:54 on wednesdays?

Rebecca said...

Jenna. Your profile picture makes my heart happy. I am such a dork.

jmg said...

of course that's the IDEA of the cell phone. and i believe that most folks, like myself, are almost always by their cell phone, but for some reason at 6:54pm on wednesdays, not only is everyone BY their cell, but they've got it turned on, the ring turned on, they look at who's calling/text-messaging, and they respond. that, i think, is quite phenomenal.

and i'm glad you like the pic--i'm getting ready for st. patrick's day :)

starbuck said...

funny thing, though: i haven't gotten any calls/text messages @ 6:54 on a wednesday lately. i feel i may have missed out on something.