27 October 2005

amor constante

once i again i cave to peer pressure. Becca's awesome poetry posting, all regarding the seasonal theme of death, has inspired me to post one of my own favorite death poems, by Francisco de Quevedo.


AMOR CONSTANTE MÁS ALLÁ DE LA MUERTE

Cerrar podrá mis ojos la postrera
sombra, que me llevare el blanco día;
y podrá desatar esta alma mía
hora a su afán ansioso lisonjera;

mas no de esotra parte en la ribera
dejará la memoria en donde ardía;
nadar sabe mi llama la agua fría,
y perder el respeto a ley severa;

alma a quien todo un Dios prisión ha sido,
venas que humor a tanto fuego han dado,
medulas que han gloriosamente ardido,

su cuerpo dejarán, no su cuidado;
serán ceniza, mas tendrá sentido;
polvo serán, mas polvo enamorado.


and (so becca doesn't get mad at me!) here's the brutal english translation, which does absolutely no justice to the original.


(Love constant beyond Death

Perhaps whatever final shadow that
the shining day may bring could close my eyes,
and this my soul may well be set aflight
by time responding to its longing sighs;
but it will not, there on the farther shore
its memory leave behind, where once it burned:
my flame the icy current yet can swim,
and so severe a law can surely spurn.

Soul by no less than a god confined,
veins that such a blazing fire have fueled,
marrow to its glorious flames consigned:

the body will abandon, not its woes;
will soon be ash, but ash that is aware;
dust will be, but dust whose love still grows.)

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Lovely! Thanks for joining in, although geez, death poems. You make me sound like a morbid literary geek. I didn't think about that I posted two in a row. Thanks for caving and giving the translation, for those of us unilingual, er monolingual? whatever people. (Yeah, I'm really tired.)

jmg said...

didn't mean the 'death poems' thing to sound negative :)

some of the best poems are, well, about death. a few examples: "To an Athlete Dying Young" by A. E. Housman, "Bereft" by Robert Frost, "Death Be Not Proud" by John Donne...

Rebecca said...

Bereft! I had never read that one before, but I love the word. Like the poem, too, after reading. Esp the last four lines. Not one that knocks you out or anything upon first read, but I do like it. Still, I don't generally like poems about death. Except maybe Yeats's Sailing to Byzantium. But that's about cheating death, right? (If only I could make a career out of reading. I'd be so happy.)

jmg said...

no kidding! they say that's the career i'm headed for, but it still seems like reading is such a smaaaaaall part of it.

edumangia said...

I just posted three poems in Spanish on my blog. One's about death, the other about love and the last one about new life. You can check them out in http://edumangia.blogspot.com/2005/10/otros-poemas.html

starbuck said...

kay, is it just me, or isn't it wierd that the poem rhymes in spanish, & english? fro, did you translate yourself?

jmg said...

no way, i'm totally opposed to this kind of translation (that distorts the meaning of the poem to make it rhyme in english). but it was the best that i could find, and my previous argument about the untranslatability of poetry didn't convince some folks (rebecca)